The VFW traces its roots back to 1899 when veterans of the Spanish-American War and the Philippine Insurrection were inspired to form an organization to secure the rights and benefits they earned during service. This legislative advocacy has been foundational to the VFW’s identity today.
|U.S. House of Representatives
2023-2024 LEGISLATIVE OUTREACH PROGRAM
Over the next 12 months, the VFW Department of Michigan will be working relentlessly, fighting on issues at the state and national levels that are of dire importance to the health and safety of our community. We will tackle the issues of toxic exposure and the need for the presumption of benefits, VA drug over-prescribing, and the suicides of veterans under VA care—hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Treatment(HBOT) for TBI and PTSD. Additionally, we will be working on various issues that are part of the VFW National Legislative Agenda, which are needed for the betterment of our community. To that end, we will only be successful if our district-level advocates engage with their elected officials, fighting for our veterans’ and their families’ welfare and benefits.
As such, we ask that the District Level Advocate work directly with the Department Legislative Director Jack Devine to stay abreast of active legislation and to help identify a volunteer "District Level Advocate” within their respective districts. The only requirement is to be passionate about advocating for veterans and their families and that they are organized and regularly communicate with the District and Department Legislative Chairs. An award will be presented to the District Level Advocate at the State Convention with the most contact with state and federal representatives.
District-Level Advocates Duties and Responsibilities:
● Professionalism and Bipartisan support for the legislation are vital to the success of the VFW. The District Level Advocates represent the VFW and its members and will be in direct contact with state and federal legislators and their staff to maintain long-term relationships with these offices.
● Provide updates on communications with elected officials to the District and Department Legislative Chairs
● These individuals should adhere to the talking points provided by VFW National and Department Headquarters
● All District Level Advocates, at least quarterly, to Department Activities Director Bob Lutz to qualify for All-State.
● District-level advocates should encourage all new and existing members to enroll in the VFW Action Corps weekly and inspire others to fight for veterans and their families actively.
Email the legislative team: email@example.com